Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Back to the UK: Spring Break Week 2

One plus of going to a Catholic University is 2 weeks of Spring Break!
The other cool thing about this week, was that it was my first time back in the UK since we moved back to the states 10 years ago.

Edinburgh, Scotland:
 The street the hostel was on! Right of off the Royal Mile!

 Canongate Kirk

Canongate


Edinburgh Castle


View into Georgian Edinburgh (New Town)


Scottish War Memorial



 James V/I
Room where Mary QoS gave birth to James

Mary Queen of Scots





Renaissance roof of Great Hall





Favorite Books from when I was a kid


I need these Union Jack rainboots
Missoni Hotel
The Elephant House, home of Harry Potter


Grey Friars Church
Library
 Calton Hill

Arthur's Seat
HolyroodHouse Palace

 Scott Memorial
 Me at dinner at the Elephant House
 Real English Breakfast
 Queen's Gallery at Holyrood House



 Fabrege

Holyrood House Abbey

Me in the gardens!
Scottish Guard House!
Holyrood House

P.S. When we were on the train, we went through Durham, which has this really awesome Cathedral that I learned about in Art History in High School. It's HUGE. And I definitely FREAKed out about it. And the woman next to me was really concerned. 




York, England:
There are no photos from York, because we were there for less than 24 hours. We got in at about 8:00pm, and found our hostel. Luckily, we had gotten snacks, because apparently, there aren't any restaurants open that late in York. But we decided to go to a movie, since nothing else was happening. We saw The Hunger Games, as Alyssa hadn't seen it, and I saw it in French and didn't understand it all.
When we got back to the hostel, I was waiting downstairs to get an adaptor, when Alyssa comes down and says, "There's a boy in my bed" (this was not the first time, hence the frustration) and asked for new sheets, and she had pointed him to the right bed, and she went back upstairs as I waited. She then came back down about 2 minutes later, and announced that there was a different boy now in my bed. And that all of the beds in the room were taken, but I wasn't there. So the guy at the front desk went up and dealt with it. There were two guys named the same thing that they checked into the same bed.
Anyway, that was all sorted out, and the next day we got up and walked to York Minster, but it cost about 8 pounds to go inside, so we ended up walking to the Jorvik Museum early, and they let us in. The Jorvik Museum tells the story of Viking-time York and there's a RIDE. It's like Viking Disneyland, except it only takes like 15 minutes. But it takes you around Jorvik (the Viking name of York) and introduces you to the people that live there. It's AWESOME.
And then we got on a train to London.

London, England:
 First thing we did in London, we also came into Kings Cross
 Tower Bridge at night, sorry it's shaky
 Buckingham Palace
Gate
Gate
 Queen Victoria
Buckingham Palace
Gate in Green Park
Mailbox! I love love love British Mailboxes!
Hyde Park
Marble Arch! (Used to be a gate to Buckingham Palace)
Sparkliest Chandelier I have EVER seen. I noticed it from across the street!

Mousetrap! We saw it in it's 50th year! Longest running show!
 King's Speech
 Chicago!
Big Ben
Me!
 St. George's Day Parade of the military schools

As close as I could get to Number 10 Downing Street
Victoria Royal
St. James' Park
 Barclay's Premier League Game! Fulham FC vs Wigan Athletic!
 Come on Fulham!


 Memorial Bridge, first time I'd ever walked across it!

Globe!

The Lee, Great Missenden, Bucks, United Kingdom:
Alyssa did a 10 hour tour of Stonehenge, Bath, The Cotswolds and Stratford, and since I've done all of that at least twice, I decided that I was going to go to The Lee for a bit! I took the train from Marlebone Station in London to Great Missenden, as I'd done many times before, but this time I had to walk the three miles each way to The Lee, which is the hamlet my family and I lived in when we lived in England. It's a beautiful little village, that hadn't changed to much in appearance, but the people certainly had.




Daffodils!
Stinging Nettles
Cute Houses
 I used to be a champ at flipping over these



 There's a plan for a high speed rail that no one wants
 Leather Lane, more like Devil Lane

Getting Closer!
Ship's Head. Used to really freak me out!
The Pub!
The Cock and Rabbit
 The Green
 Memorial Cross
Guild Cottage

House Number 1!

Car Park
House Number 2!

The Old Mill
Cricket Pitch

 Nicholas Nickelby
 The Old Mill again
 Garage
 Cottages
 New Church

Old Church


Well, that was my second week of Spring Break! Hope you enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment