Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

First Week of School.

was extremely stressfull...

I was placed into the 121 level, which is the second level. 
I've taken French for 3 years and was in 301 in the fall.
Not ok.
But really, I am a horrible standardized test taker in a language I understand completely.

I was in that class for 2 days. On Tuesday, we learned the present tense of the verb aller (to go).
I learned that 2 years ago. 
Still not ok.

Tuesday, I kept pestering my teacher, so she said I could switch.
Wednesday morning, Sue, my director (for AHA) and I went down to see the Assistant Director of CIDEF, who is in charge of changing levels.
The first thing he said to me was "Comment-t-allez vous?" Which means how are you?
But in the US, the profs all say Ca-va? Which is the same thing. 
That really freaked me out, and if you know me, you know that I get very very nervous talking to people I don't know. Especially people in a high position, who holds my future as a possible French minor in their hands...
Well of course I could barely speak, but I'm now in 312!
It's challenging, but I really like it. 

I'm taking 9 hours of Langue (language), grammer, expression orale (speaking, because I'm terrible), and art history. 

I was going to take history of france as well, but I thought speaking was more important. 
I'm also taking a class with the visiting prof from Portland State that came with my program. 
It was supposed to be 2 classes, but we combined them. 
Peace and Conflict in France 
&
Identity, Multiculturalism and the New France.

Which is right up my international studies alley!

So i'm really happy that I'm in this new class. It seems to be the perfect level for me.

Weather report: When we were taking a taxi back from the club (that we didn't get into) at 3am, it was -6 degrees centigrade

No comments:

Post a Comment