Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Hey there, Culture Shock

I thought I wasn't going to get culture shock.
I've lived in Europe before. 
I thought I was fine.
Until last night.
I was.

Then Dinner happened. 

We were eating our lovely potage (veggie soup that's pureed), and I saw them.
Our main course. 
A Boudin (prononced Bou-duh) for all of you San Franciscans
Which turns out, is a blood sausage.
Yes, you read that right, blood. 
Curdled blood to be exact.

And I had to eat it. 
I have never eaten one, but somehow I knew that the black sausage sitting in the pan was blood. 
My brain and stomach FREAKED out.

I ended up having to leave dinner to be sick.
It was so embarrasing. 
Let me tell you, it is very difficult to communicate that you never ever want to eat that again when you don't speak the same language. 

It was fine, I ate the apples, cheese and dessert. 
The rest of dinner was really awkward, as was breakfast this morning. 

I didn't want her to think that I didn't like her cooking, because it's usually really good.
However, my culture doesn't eat blood sausages. 

Dinner tonight was much better (we had salmon)
and she kept joking about how tonight's was better than yesterday.

We were talking about how my friends and I are going to Paris in a few weeks and she was helping with my grammar. Which was wonderful. 

The last 24 hours have made me realize that plunking yourself down into another culture is REALLY hard, and very shocking at times. 

but SO worth it. 
And I'm so grateful to have so many wonderful people around me to go through this with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment